Basic Law Enforcement Technology
Contact(s): Christi Buchanan
Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) is designed to give students essential skills required for entry-level employment as law enforcement officers with state, county, or municipal governments or with private enterprise.
This program utilizes state commission mandated topics and methods of instruction. General subjects include but are not limited to criminal, juvenile, civil, traffic, and alcoholic beverage laws; investigative, patrol, custody, and court procedures; emergency responses; and ethics and community relations.
Successful graduates receive a curriculum certificate and are qualified to take certification examinations mandated by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and/or the North Carolina Sheriffs Education and Training Standards Commission.
BLET at SCC allows students to obtain entry level employment as law enforcement officers in North Carolina, including Sheriff's Offices, police departments, NC Wildlife, NC State Highway Patrol, State Bureau of Investigations, Department Motor Vehicles and Alcohol Law Enforcement.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of North Carolina criminal law, juvenile law, motor vehicle law, controlled substance law, civil law, and alcoholic beverage control law.
- Demonstrate proficiency in defensive tactics, drive training, physical fitness, firearms training, and law enforcement patrol techniques.
- Describe proper criminal investigation and accident investigation procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of first responder techniques.
- Perform proper custody procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of laws of arrest, search, and seizure.
- Apply proper court procedures.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills.
Basic Law Enforcement Technology - Certificate – C55120
|CJC 100||Basic Law Enforcement Training||20|
For more information on admission procedures, see the Admissions Checklist on our website.