SCC Course Catalog
Semester and Credit Guidelines
Stanly Community College operates on the semester system, the primary academic calendar of all institutions in the North Carolina Community College System. The fall and spring semesters are approximately sixteen weeks in length; the summer session is eight weeks in length. Consult the semester course schedule for meeting times of classes offered.
Semester hours are awarded as follows:
- one semester hour of credit for each hour per week of class lecture,
- one semester hour of credit for each two or three hours per week of laboratory,
- one semester hour of credit for each ten hours per week of cooperative work experience, and
- one semester hour of credit for each three hours per week of clinical.
Definitions of Contact and Credit Hours
- Contact hours: actual amount of time (clock hours) spent in class, shop, or lab for each course.
- Credit hours: academic credit awarded and used for tuition and graduation purposes.
Student Classification for Financial Aid, VA, and Insurance
- Full-time student: a student enrolled with 12 or more semester hours of credit.
- Part-time student: a student enrolled with fewer than 12 semester hours of credit.
- Freshman: a student who has completed less than 32 credit hours.
- Sophomore: a student who has completed 32 or more credit hours.
Students with Disabilities
Credit hours for full-time classification for insurance purposes will be based upon the student’s documented needs in consultation with the Disabilities Services Offices, Dean of Students, and the student.